Friday, March 4, 2016

Before Winter (6)


Four: Simon’s house
“Welcome, brother.” 

“Shalom.”

Timothy shook hands with each believer as they came through the door and gathered in little groups, talking among themselves. Surveying the room, Timothy saw that most of the brethren had gathered. He pulled the scroll from his bag, and made his way to the front of the room. Sitting down on a stool, he set the parchment down in front of him. Around him, the body of Christians settled into an expectant hush. 

“The Lord Jesus Christ be with you all,” said Timothy.

“And with you,” the response echoed around the room.

Bowing his head, Timothy began praying aloud. “Lord Jesus, we thank you for Your protection this week, and for Your sacrifice for us which we remember today. May we grow in Your love and in understanding of Your ways, Amen.”

All the Christians replied in unison, “Amen, so let it be.”

“This morning we will begin by reading a letter which I have just received from Paul, by the hand of Tychicus. It is written to me, but I feel that the whole church will benefit from it as well.”

Clearing his throat, Timothy began, “Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,

“To Timothy, a beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. 

“I thank God, whom I serve with a pure conscience, as my forefathers did, as without ceasing I remember you in my prayers night and day…” 

By now Timothy was familiar with Paul’s words, having already read them several times, and the phrases rolled off his tongue easily. When Paul spoke of his imprisonment, a murmur rippled through the crowd. They listened to the words of warning about false doctrine, and to Paul’s request for Timothy to leave them and come to Rome. Finally, Timothy reached the end of the letter.

“Greet Prisca and Aquila,” he read, “and the household of Onesiphorus.” He looked at Onesiphorus’s wife, sitting on one side of the room. She had not heard from her husband since he went to Rome to find Paul. 
“The Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Grace be with you. Amen.”

Rolling up the scroll, Timothy looked over his congregation. “I have decided that I must go to Rome, as Paul requested,” he said. “While I am gone, Tychicus will be your pastor. He has already spoken with the elders and been accepted by them. Please, get to know him, and tell him your thoughts, just as you do with me.”

One of the elders stood up, and Timothy nodded for him to speak. 

“Tychicus is a good man. We will listen to his leadership, but we will also miss you Timothy.”

“Thank you. I will miss you as well, but I will return when Paul does not need my help anymore.” Despite Tychicus’s words, Timothy refused to speak of Paul as if his death was certain. It was too unthinkable—a world without Paul. 

“Simon,” he continued, “will you pray for us? Remember our brethren in Rome as well.” 

As Simon rose to close the meeting in prayer, Timothy made his way to the back of the room, and stood beside Tychicus. He knew that everyone there would want to talk with them, to personally say goodbye, and to ask further questions about Paul and his journey. 

“When are you leaving, Timothy?” asked Demetrius.

“I have everything packed, so I intend take passage on the Nero in two days, when they set sail.” 

“Give my greetings to my husband when you get to Rome!” Onesiphorus’s wife smiled at Timothy as she shepherded her youngest children out the door. 

“I will,” Timothy said, “God be with you!”

“God bless your journey, Timothy”

“Jason!” Timothy exclaimed. “I meant to ask you last week…how is the copying going?”

“Fine. I’ve finished all the copies for our elders, and brought them to Simon this morning, so they can be checked over for errors. I was just planning on making a few more to give to Christians from other cities.”

“Can you make a copy of this latest letter before I leave? I want the church to have access to it while I’m gone, but I’m going to take the original with me.” He handed the parchment scroll to Jason. 

“If you come to my house tomorrow night, I’ll have it ready for you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments so much that we like to know who they are from. Please leave your name with your comment!