Thursday, July 6, 2017

The Importance of Memorization

Psalm 119:11 Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You.

I've been memorizing Scripture since before I could enunciate the English language properly. (The "tree planted by the river" in Psalm 1 was interpreted as "twee pwanted by da wivah", according to my Grandma, who does a very good impersonation of my young self.) Psalm 1, Psalm 23, John 3:16...I don't even remember the time when I had to learn them, they're just there, as far back as my memory goes.

The first passages I remember learning were the Romans Road and Romans 6. We were involved in a family Bible study, working through the book of Romans, and the leader of the study encouraged all the kids to memorize those verses. I can still see myself, sitting cross-legged on the floor, looking up as I finished reciting the last verse of Romans 6, very proud of myself.

Back then, I mostly memorized Scripture because it was part of my family's routine. Mom and Dad told us to memorize certain passages, and we generally obeyed. I did read the Bible because I believed it was what God wanted Christians to do, but I had no idea what a powerful tool memorization was for spiritual growth.

Even when I signed up for the Bible Bee, and started memorizing hundreds of verses each summer, I was not unlocking the full potential of memorization. It was teaching me discipline, I was learning new things about the Bible, and I enjoyed it, but it was when I started studying 2nd Timothy, and memorized the whole book as I was studying it, that my view of scripture changed.

You see, memorization enhances understanding of scripture. The Bible is not like the times table, or "The Jabberwocky" poem—it is not to be memorized without understanding. Now, it may start out without understanding; there are some passages in Hebrews that I had half-learned before I had the foggiest idea what the author was getting at. But, as I kept going over the passage, I could almost see it opening up in my head—the words came together into meaningful ideas, connecting to the rest of the Bible, confirming doctrine, reinforcing practices that I already had learned, and showing me new angles of God's love and power.

A funny thing happens when you memorize a passage of Scripture—say, Psalm 119. First of all, it starts showing up everywhere. I'm sure I heard sermons that involved Psalm 119 before this last year, but I don't recall a single one. However, since I started meditating on it every day, I've heard at least four or five sermons either based on the Psalm, or referencing it, and I've discovered that other people love it as well! Also, as I'm reading or listening to other portions of the Bible, I come across phrases that remind me of verses in Psalm 119, and both reinforce and add to my understanding of the chapter. Scripture informs scripture, and the more deeply I study a passage, the more I see how it is connected with the whole of God's Word.

Psalm 119:11 is by no means the only passage that encourages scripture memorization. There are places God commands it, both in the Old Testament and the New. "These words which I command you today shall be in your heart; You shall teach them diligently to your children" (Deuteronomy 6:5-6) "This book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night" (Joshua 1:8) "Lay up His words in your heart" (Job 22:22) "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly" (Colossians 3:16) "receive with meekness the implanted word" (James 1:21).

Having passages of Scripture memorized is very useful in our Christian life:
1. It allows us to be ready to give an answer. Don't try to defend Christianity, or explain it, without using the Bible! The Bible is a powerful sword, and we should never go into battle without it.
2. It helps us keep from sinning (as this verse mentions). To hold our thoughts captive, we need to know and have ready verses with which to fill our minds. When we are about to lash out at someone in anger, or fudge the truth a little, if our minds are full of God's word, it will be easier to stay calm, or harder to lie.
3. It enriches our prayers. Sometimes we do not know what to say when talking to God, and praying Scripture is a great help, both in praying for our own spiritual growth and in making intercession for others. There are also many wonderful prayers in Scripture, which we can use.
4. It is a comfort in affliction. When we are hurt by people, or anxious under circumstances, there are many passages in the Bible which soothe and quiet our hearts.
5. It seasons our speech. When our minds are full of the Bible, we will not find our tongue slipping into cursing, coarseness, sarcasm, or slander.

Mere head-knowledge of the Bible is not enough, however, and it would be wrong and dangerous to focus on an external knowledge of the Bible, rather than an internalized, personal faith in Christ. Memorizing the entire Bible would not make one a Christian, and even understanding the meaning is not enough, without faith. The Bible must be in our hearts, not just our minds, and it must show in our lives, not only our words.




"God's word is a treasure worth laying up, and there is no laying it up safely but in our hearts; if we have it only in our houses and hands, enemies may take it from us; if only in our heads, our memories may fail us: but if our hearts be delivered into the mould of it, and the impressions of it remain on our souls, it is safe."
—Matthew Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments so much that we like to know who they are from. Please leave your name with your comment!