Friday, March 15, 2013

Psalm 119


Since the Bible Bee started Sarah and I have memorized quite a few verses from Psalm 119, and it has seemed like there is some reference to God's word in every single verse. So today, partly out of curiosity and partly because I was having a hard time coming up with a blog post, I looked up how many times Psalm 119 refers to God's word. Here's what I found: (this is in the NKJV. In other translations it may vary)
  1. Ordinances: 2
  2. Judgments:19
  3. Precepts:21
  4. Commandments:22
  5. Statutes:22
  6. Testimonies:23
  7. Law: 25
  8. Word: 41

True, Psalm 119 has 176 verses. But, out of those 176 it mentions God's word 175 times.
I have done a lot of memorizing Scripture in the last few years, and it is stimulating to read a bunch of verses like these that remind me why I should put so much effort into memorizing and studying the Bible.
The Bible is worth studying (Psalms 119:15 I will meditate on Your precepts,And contemplate Your ways.) The Bible is worth memorizing (Psalms 119:16 I will delight myself in Your statutes; I will not forget Your word.)The Bible is worth standing up for  (Psalms 119:46 I will speak of Your testimonies also before kings, And will not be ashamed.) The Bible is worth loving: (Psalms 119:47 And I will delight myself in Your commandments, Which I love.)The Bible is comforting and life giving (Psalms 119:50 This is my comfort in my affliction,For Your word has given me life.)The Bible is valuable: (Psalms 119:72 The law of Your mouth is better to me Than thousands of coins of gold and silver.)The Bible is light: (Psalms 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.)The Bible is pure (Psalms 119:140 Your word is very pure; Therefore Your servant loves it.)

The Bible is true and everlasting! (Psalms 119:160 The entirety of Your word is truth, And every one of Your righteous judgments endures forever.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments so much that we like to know who they are from. Please leave your name with your comment!