Monday, January 21, 2013

Jonah and Swimming

As I have been working on memorizing Jonah chapter two (Jonah's prayer in the belly of the fish after being thrown out of the ship by the mariners), I am strongly reminded of my own experiences in learning how to swim. It may seem implausible at first, but especially if one does not look back with fondness on learning to swim, the parallels are quite striking.


For instance:
Verse 3: For You cast me into the deep, (the swim teacher pushes me in)
Into the heart of the seas, (the 4 ft. end of the lap pool)
And the floods surrounded me; (another student passes me, splashing with unnecessary vigor)
All Your billows and Your waves passed over me. (and another)
Verse 5: The waters surrounded me, even to my soul; The deep closed around me; (now I'm 6 feet deep; couldn't touch bottom if I tried)

Verse 6a: I went down to the mooring of the mountains (diving for the orange cone)

Verse 6c: Yet You have brought up my life from the pit, O LORD, my God. (making it to the surface)

Verse 7: When my soul fainted within me, (first time without a kickboard)

I remembered the LORD; (Maybe praying would help)
And my prayer went up to You, Into Your holy temple. (God, please help me not to drown!)
Verse 8: Those who regard worthless idols (swimming trophies) 
Forsake their own Mercy.

Verse 10: So the LORD spoke to the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land. (Substitute "teacher" for "fish" and "let" for "vomited.")


Now remember, God made you special, and He loves you very much. Goodbye!

5 comments:

  1. I love your sense of humor in this. :)
    Nice Veggie Tales reference too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great! I will be following your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well written Margaret,
    When I learned to swim, I was on a sand bar and the tide came in causing the water to be over my head getting back to shore. At first I just sank to the bottom and then pushed off from the bottom and took a quick breath when I surfaced. eventually, I began treading water and then I began pushing the water behind me so that I moved towards shore. When I made it to the beach, I was very weary but being back on solid ground was a great relief. I knew that God was with me and I would not drown.

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments so much that we like to know who they are from. Please leave your name with your comment!